Child Life specialists are members of the healthcare team and empower children, adolescents, and their families to master challenging life events related to illness, injury and hospitalization. We blend education with play in creative ways to help children and their families cope with the demands of surgery and hospitalization.
We promote play to facilitate healing, coping, self-expression, creativity, achievement and learning. Our Specialists make every attempt to meet the emotional, developmental and psychosocial needs of our young patients and their families with emphasis on understanding the illness or injury and progression to an optimal level of wellness.
Child Life specialists strive to make hospitalization a less stressful experience for both the patient and the family.
Our Child Life Specialists…
- Are available to provide services throughout Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
- Help patients and their siblings cope with hospitalization
- Provide emotional support, therapeutic play, positive interactions, developmental interventions and recreational opportunities for all pediatric patients
- Supply information about medical and surgical procedures
- Help children and their families prepare for procedures
- Assist children and families of adult ICU patients with issues related to their family member's hospitalization
- Facilitate hospital and homebound school services
- Plan holiday and seasonal activities for hospitalized children
- 8th Floor- Cathy and Jesse Marion Pediatric Playroom
- 9th Floor- Houston Aeros Power Playroom and Hollywood Video Starlight Site
- 10th Floor- Fondren Park; Houston Rockets Teen Lounge; and the Pi Beta Phi Children's Library
Reasons to Contact Child Life
- Empower children to better understand an illness or injury and their reaction to it
- Help the parent or caregiver and your child better understand any upcoming surgery, procedure, treatment or new diagnosis
- Teach the parent or caregiver and your child coping strategies to help through a difficult procedure or treatment
- Help children understand and cope with the illness, injury or death of a family member or friend
- Enable children to be more comfortable with the hospital experience through activities and play
Child Life specialists are also available at other Memorial Hermann hospitals, in affiliation with Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital, including locations in Katy, Memorial City, Sugar Land, Southeast Houston, Southwest Houston and The Woodlands.
For more information about Child Life, please call (713) 704-2066.
Learn more about internships with the Child Life department.
* Please note that the program will not be accepting applications for Fall 2013