Child Life and Expressive Therapies
Child Life and Expressive Therapies (Child Life Specialist, Music Therapist and Art Therapist), are members of the healthcare team and empower children, adolescents, and their families when coping with challenging life events related to illness, injury and hospitalization. Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital’s Child Life Team expanded to include a Music Therapist in February of 2009 and an Art Therapist in August of 2015, making our hospital the first hospital in the Texas Medical Center to have both Child Life and Expressive Therapies under one roof.
By providing age-appropriate play and activities, specialists facilitate healing, coping, self-expression, creativity, achievement and learning to patients and their families. Our specialists make every attempt to meet the emotional, developmental and psychosocial needs of all patients and family members, while building an understanding for the illness or injury and progression to an optimal level of wellness. Child Life is dedicated to helping children and families through:
- Availability to provide services throughout Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
- Strive to normalize hospital experience for patients and families
- Provide emotional support, therapeutic play, positive interactions, developmental interventions and recreational opportunities
- Supply information about medical and surgical procedures at an age appropriate level
- Help children and their families prepare for procedures
- Support physicians and nurses during producers by providing distractions to patients
- Assist children and families of adult ICU patients with issues related to their family member's hospitalization
- Facilitate hospital and homebound school services
- Plan holiday and seasonal activities for hospitalized children
- 8th Floor- Cathy and Jesse Marion Pediatric Playroom
- 9th Floor- Hollywood Video Starlight Site
- 10th Floor- Fondren Park; Houston Rockets Teen Lounge; and the Pi Beta Phi Children's Library (add the Sun Room)
Reasons to Contact Child Life
- Empower children to better understand an illness or injury
- Help the parent or caregiver and your child better understand any upcoming surgery, procedure, treatment or new diagnosis
- Teach the parent or caregiver and your child coping strategies to help through a difficult procedure or treatment
- Help children understand and cope with the illness, injury or death of a family member or friend
- Enable children to be more comfortable with the hospital experience through activities and play
Child Life Specialists are also available at other Memorial Hermann hospitals, in affiliation with Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital, including locations in Katy, Memorial City, Sugar Land and The Woodlands.
For more information about Child Life, please call (713) 704-2066.